Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fun in the Snow

What a day!! This area is becoming more and more unpredictable!! From the unexpected ice storm a couple weekends ago to the snow this week...you just never know what we are going to get...or whether to believe the weather man. For example, they have been calling for snow for the past 2 days...so Monday night I bring my laptop home in the event it snows I can work from home. I wake up Tuesday...no snow. Well I say no snow...we may have had a "dusting" or whatever even though the county schools were out as they always are...trust me I loved going to county schools and always getting out for snow but my kids go to city so they were off to school as usual.

So halfway through the day on Tuesday, my friends were leaving work because schools were letting out and snow was supposedly coming but I decided to leave my laptop at work. After all, nothing had happened the night before.

So we eat supper, clean it up, start to settle down and watch some TV before bed when Duffer glances outside and yells for us to look...we suddenly had gotten about an inch in 30 minutes and it was just pouring!! I ran out and backed my car in...even though my upper driveway is level the teenagers across the street tend to park in the road and I didn't want to slide into them leaving for work. By the time I walked in from my car to the house, I looked like I snowman because I was covered with snow!

So I get up this morning...check the schools...city were still on a regular schedule...so I go ahead and jump in the shower and get ready for work. While I am in the shower...Duffer comes in to tell me he just saw on the news that city schools are closed! WHAT?!?!? I just checked the website! Not to mention I hadn't received my text or email they send. :( Ok so now the kids didn't have to go so Duffer decides to stay home because the news says the roads are "treacherous" and to not get out unless you have to...if you recall this is what they said during that ice storm two weeks ago.

I was in such a delima about whether to stay home or go in and finally decided I would try to go in and if it was bad I would turn around and come home. I didn't "think" my roads looked that bad. After I got pulled out on my road though, I realized they were solid ice but by then it was too late. I was afraid to turn around for fear of getting stuck or hitting one of the many idiots who love to park on the roads! So I decided to go until I couldn't go anymore...I had dressed "prepared to walk". The roads were really bad until I got to John B Dennis and then they were clear but I drove in 4WD and made it safely to work. :o)

While I slaved away at work this is what Duffer and the kids did...can't give much commentary since I wasn't here...{sniff)

Getting a little push from her big brother...



Apparently it's also fun to play in Duffer's trailer???

Only in the hills of East Tennessee will you find kids sledding in 1/2 inch of snow and grass!

Rylee loved her first experience sledding on her own.

Davis and his snowboard that he got last year at Christmas...and obviously doesn't get to use very often.



Getting ready to wipe out...Davis didn't have any boots so he is wearing my Harley Davidson biker boots...how funny is that?!?!? Note to self...buy kids some winter gear!!!


And he's down...

Jett attempting to snowboard....that HAD to have been hilarious!!



Instead of the saying "eating dirt" it is "eating snow"!




They had so much fun that I took off work early and came home and we decided to find some real snow!!

We packed up our clothes and gear and headed to Virginia. We met one of my friends, Jon at a national park that has tons of hills to sled on. I almost had heart failure getting up the mountain...not crazy about the steep, curvy ice and snow covered roads especially when you pass the scrapper truck who takes up the entire road! Ugh!! BUT we made it there safely...yay!

Here is Jon....we work together...yes Jon...you have now made my blog...he is one of my faithful readers (we never know about our guy readers since they never comment) :)

Here is Jon's son and nephew...these poor boys were frozen because they were sledding for probably an hour before we got there and then we lasted maybe 30 minutes before Rylee started whining. We had fun though....there was about 5-6 inches of snow on those hills. If the wind chill hadn't been so low it wouldn't have been so bad.

Jon and his crew probably thinks we are crazy because as soon as we got in the vehicle, Jett and Rylee began to SCREAM...and I mean scream!!! As I mentioned earlier we didn't have the appropriate gear for snow so we were freezing and their hands were burning. The car was still warm so the warm air made them burn more and they were just screaming because they didn't understand what the feeling was.

Here are Rylee and me trying to warm her hands...while she is screaming crying....sorry Rylee...had to document the moment! ;) (I didn't get any pictures of us sledding because it was so cold up there on that mountain so I just tried to hurry)

Duffer still in the backseat trying to get Jett to chill out! This was also when Duffer announced we were moving to Florida...far, far away from the cold and snow! LOL

Almost home...Duffer took this driving...yes he is cool like that...as we finally turn onto our road, back from our 45 minute drive back from sledding. I know the picture is a tad blurry but he did take it driving!! I realize many of you may have not ever seen me in my glasses...I only wear them to drive...and rarely let my picture get taken with them on...this one got by me somehow...

Happy Campers now that they were warm and almost home!



I couldn't get a shot of Davis because he was all the way in the back. We came in to a yummy dinner...roast that Duffer had put in the crock pot to cook all day...I fixed corn, mac & cheese and rolls and we ate, took baths and called it a night....oh and of course watched American Idol!!

Our plan...IF we get another good snow...is to only take Davis so that we can really get some good sledding action going on. Jett and Rylee and still just a smidge too young for the cold unless it is for short periods in the back yard.

Unfortunately...the kids go back to school tomorrow while the rest of the schools around here get another day off. :o(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Rylee...

Anonymous said...

Poor Jett....