Saturday, October 25, 2008

Carving the Pumpkins

Yesterday (Friday) was quite the crazy day. I was off all day because one of our incentives that we can take for donating to United Way (at work) is a flex week. A flex week is where you can work four 10 hour days and then be off one day. I needed to take my last one before the end of the month or I would lose it. So it isn't like I needed to be off but I was. Of course there was a TON of stuff I needed to do here at home...laundry, cleaning, clean my vehicle, pack...but after you hear how my day went you will see why I got none of that done!

I had to make sure I got the kids up and to school on time. The last time I was off the boys got tardies because I didn't judge how long it would take since I was driving from a new destination. I got them there TWO minutes late the last time. UGH! So I had them loaded in the car 45 minutes before they had to be there...very prepared I thought.

Bad thing was the keys were no where to be found. I called Duffer at work who said he had no clue and then I got the talk about how I needed to be more organized and more prepared. Well, this upset me since the reason I couldn't find my keys is because Duffer had driven the night before when we were out and he never puts them back in my purse. Since I park in the garage I don't need to lock the vehicle so when I get out I always drop my keys in the front pocket of my purse.

Duffer said he would leave work to bring me his spare set to my car. At this point I was very aggravated because I knew there was no way for us to get to school on time. Halfway home from work, Duffer called me back to let me know that he actually had both sets of my car keys...hmmm, imagine that???? Not a good way to start the day...

So I got the boys to school...10 minutes late...dropped off Rylee at daycare (so she didn't miss school time) and then headed to Bristol to drop off some money at the lawyer's office for Duffer. The office wasn't open so I put the $30 cash in an envelope with his name on it and stuffed it under the door then proceeded home.

When I got home I realized that the kids (all 3 of them) had an appointment at the doctor for flu shots at 1:45 so I wasn't home long enough to do anything.

I was not looking forward to all three of my kids getting shots and me taking them by myself. It was as bad as I had imagined too.

Davis was the only one who knew why they were actually there but he lost it as soon as we were put in a room. His crying got the others to crying. Davis went first and I had to hold him. He went outside the room when he was done because he can't stand to see Jett or Rylee get shots.

Rylee wanted to go next and she was so brave until the needle actually went in! She started to move around (with the needle in her arm) so she is now probably traumatized. The nurse just wasn't quick enough for scared little children.

Poor Rylee was just boo hooing after she got done but I couldn't console her because I was chasing Jett who was trying to make a getaway...yes he actually had the door to the room open and he was running!! I grabbed him and had to hold him down too with poor little Rylee standing there crying too.

Jett was so traumatized that he wanted to be carried out. I carried him to the back waiting room and then my back was killing me so Davis carried him to the checkout window. Boy was I glad to get out of there!!!

While we waited in the waiting room afterwards (to make sure they had no reaction to the shot) Duffer called and we figured out that the lawyer's office I left the money at was an empty office and they had actually moved. Geez...could my day get worse???? So now Duffer has to take off Monday to take the money to the correct location. He was taking Davis to his doctor appointment on Monday anyway.

So after Duffer got home Friday evening they began to carve their pumpkins. I don't get involved in this part...all I do is get frustrated. I was pretty proud of my photos though...I took them all (even the night time pumpkins) with NO flash. I am a fanatic about taking pictures with no flash unless you have to and it is so hard (for me anyway) to take them inside or in very low light and have them look right. Since I have learned to shoot in complete Manual mode it is much easier to not use a flash and I have figured out how much it has to do with your lens...if it doesn't have a low f/stop then you will never get the right amount of light without a flash.

Here is Davis concentrating ever so hard.
Jett loving the mess that he is scooping out...
Look at those eyebrows...the spitting image of his daddy.
Rylee coloring patiently while the boys do the messy work. She did later help do her own pumpkin but I got tired of taking photos by then.
Check out those muscles on my scrawny little boy!!!
From left to right...Rylee's and then Jett's.
Jett was so proud of his that he wrote his name on it. He originally wanted his name on the front because he said no one would know whose was his. Bless his heart...we had to explain that no one would be able to read his name from the road!
Davis' wild pumpkin...not sure what kind of look he was going for here.
Jett's

Rylee's
Davis'


Then I got some good ones once it got dark...and yes these were still with no flash. :o)
Jett's
Rylee's
Davis'

By the way...as I sit here and watch the UT/Bama game, I am devastated that we didn't go to the game OR Boo at the Zoo. Duffer called it off since we had to shell out so much money this week for the home inspection and appraisal.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww...That's so sad, I hate that y'all didn't get to go! That sucks actually! I know y'all we're really looking forward to going..but the money is better off towards the house! ;(