Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First Day of School ~ UPDATED

Yesterday was the first day of school...and way too soon I might add!! Can you believe they go back August 4th???? By the time they get to high school they will probably be going back in JULY!

Duffer and I both went into work late so we could take them...I always take Davis on the first day and then today little Jett began Kindergarten so we certainly couldn't miss that!!

It was a long morning...before we even got to work! I followed Duffer to Eastman so he could park his car and we could ride together. Then we headed to daycare to drop off Miss Rylee. We didn't really know how she would do since she has never stayed at daycare without Jett (except for the occasional couple hours when Jett has had doctor appointments or something to attend to). Rylee did fine...Susan has taken in 2 new kids to replace Jett and Kaitlyn and one is an 8 month old baby which Rylee LOVES babies so she is preoccupied for now.

I had Susan (because someone has my tripod but I won't mention any names ;) ! ) take this picture of us to get all of us on this big day and also because Davis needs a framed family photo for his classroom (they sit them on top of the cubbies to make it "homier". The last family photo we have is from Easter. I will upload to Wal*Mart tonight to the one-hour and he will have it by tomorrow at school.


So we get to the school early so we can take some pictures. I thought this one turned out well. They actually look the same size because Davis was on a slope. It is crazy that they are almost 5 years apart in age but almost wear the same shoe size (Davis wears 2 and Jett wears 1 1/2)!!


In Jett's classroom...we found his seat with his name tag and lunch code. At Washington, they have a 5-digit number they keep the entire time they are at the school and anytime they purchase something from the lunch line they punch in their code at the checkout. If they don't know their code they can't get anything. I think this is hard on the little ones but Davis survived and I am sure Jett will too. My kids always take their lunch anyway (unless we are just out of food at the time) but the bus gets them to school 15 minutes before they can go to their rooms so Davis has always ate breakfast during that time. He eats at home too but that is around 5:30am so he gets hungry again by 8am.



Here is Jett beside his cubbie where his big 3 ring binder is. I love these...where Washington is multi-age, Jett will have the same teacher for K, 1st and 2nd grade. They keep this big binder full of milestone work (such as tests, writing assignments, spelling work and journal entries) and at the end of 2nd grade the kids bring them home. The parents have this collection of all 3 years and it is nice to look back on (they do the same for Intermediate which is 3rd - 5th so at the end of this year, Davis will bring his home).


**Here is the picture of Jett and his teacher, Mrs. Begley that I forgot to upload last night!**

Jett and Daddy...this is the point where my voice was cracking when I talked...you know that point where you could just burst out in tears???? Jett looked so pitiful when we left him sitting at his table not talking to anyone. :o( The kindergartners go everyday this week but they get out at 12:30 everyday and this is to help them adjust to the dismissal system.


On to Davis' classroom...he put his lunch and his backpack in his cubbie...I took this picture because I thought it was funny...he and Noah share a space (but no one else does) but to look at it, this is Davis' full name....Noah Davis...so it looks like it is personalized for him! haha You can't see but hanging on the hook is Washington's famous Blue Bag that you put your coat and backpack in. They require all kids to have these because when your stuff is hanging so closely with others' stuff, this prevents the spreading of germs. They are all about healthiness...they require the kids to keep water at their desk all day and drink throughout, each child has hand sanitizer at their desk, and they stress over and over not to send sweets to school. I really like that because some schools don't take the time to do those things.



Davis found his seat...unfortunately not with Noah (the teacher learned last year that they couldn't sit together because they goofed off too much)...and he already had something to work on. It was a Name Scrabble exercise. Davis was just thrilled as you can imagine.

And here is my big 5th grader!! Before we left we talked to his teacher about how if Davis didn't step it up a LOT this year, we didn't feel comfortable sending him to middle school. He is infamous for not completely his homework log so we have no clue what homework is due. I found in his backpack how they have a new system this year called ParentLink where the teachers and parents communicate through the Internet to guarantee there is communication on this matter and any other issue that needs to be addressed. This made me very happy!!!
So that was the first day of school. I was mopey but did okay. My grandma picked Jett up and he seemed just fine...only he ate his lunch on the way home which meant he was too stressed or didn't have enough time to eat at school. This morning was rough because they had to get up early and everyone was cranky. I am calling daycare around 8am because today is also Jett's first day of riding the bus...{gasp}...but at least he will have Davis with him. The regular bus driver, Alice, who has always driven had surgery and won't be back for 3 weeks so that makes me a little uneasy because she knows all the kids.

Finally the pictures I ordered for Jett and Jaden's pitching machine baseball team arrived yesterday!! They should have been here on July 21st but (even though I updated my address in the online ordering system) the pictures were delivered to my old apartment. I called the apartment and they never saw them so who knows what happened to them! Luckily the company I ordered from has great customer service and they resent them to me no charge!!!

Here is the memory mate I ordered for Jett...also got some wallets for family and one 5x7 for my photo wall divider I am still trying to fill up.

We had a game last night so I took Jaden's pictures to Susan without scanning them to show you but I think they turned out well (for an amateur anyway).

Oh and we won the game...18-0...I took some pictures but haven't uploaded them yet. This was our last game and Playoffs begin this weekend. We play again on Monday and since we are undefeated and I hoping they get first place again like last year!

I love, love, love Lynn Garden football but I am ready for it to end. Chargers has been practicing for a week now and Davis has only made 2 practices due to conflicts. He will be there tonight thru Friday but not sure how much he will miss next week.

This fall, Chargers football for Davis is all we are doing. We aren't letting Jett play soccer because he needs to get in bed so early and he is having to adjust to going to school all day with no naps. He can do basketball when Upward begins and by then he should be well adjusted...hopefully!


2 comments:

Pierce Family Happenings said...

Nicole,
Congrats on surviving the first day! I still have mine to get through! Your pictures are great and it sounds like everything went fantastic for the boys! Washington is a great school-I have some friends who teach there. Glad it went well!

Anonymous said...

That's such a great family picture...Those kiddo's just cling to their daddy, you can see that!hahah..not a minutes peace when you have kids!
Such a sweet picture...