Saturday, December 22, 2007

Pray for Davis

Duffer and I are very worried about Davis as far as his real dad is concerned. First of all, his dad has cancelled on him for roughly about the past 5 or 6 weekends so if you calculate that up (since he is suppose to see him every other weekend) you can estimate how little time they have spent together in the past 6 months. I think since we have lived in this new house (we moved in September) Davis has went to his dad's once.

Well...the point of this was to discuss what happened last night. Davis was supposed to go to his dad's this weekend. Last night was the Christmas party for Pal's...the Awana group that Davis is in. I had originally told his dad that I would bring Davis after the party but he gave me a sob story about how last night was the only time he would really get to see him. So I asked Davis if he minded missing the party and of course he said no because he always wants to see his dad...which breaks my heart.

Yesterday Kevin, Davis' dad called about when he was picking him up, and Davis asked me to ask him if he was getting to stay all weekend. Kevin has been typically keeping him one night instead of the entire weekend and then bringing him home (for about 2 years now) due to his work schedule. Kevin's reply was "well yeah" like I was crazy for even asking. Well, when he called to say he was on his way, he threw in the fact that he would be bringing him home today (Saturday) around noon because he had to go back into work and work late and then turn around and be back early on Sunday and there was no since in Davis sitting there with him not there. In reality Davis' step mom just had a new baby and also has a 4 year old and probably can't handle all 3 of them because trust me it isn't easy!

Now if Kevin had a very important job I might be a bit more understanding but he works at Food City stocking groceries! The extremely sad thing is that Duffer has offered him a job at Fluor making more money, working Monday - Thursday with the weekends off???? Somebody help me understand why on earth you would want to stay at Food City working nights and weekends and holidays???? We even assured him that he wouldn't work on Duffer's crew because we suspected that might have been part of his hesitation.

This is what happened last night...sorry got a little side tracked there for a minute...Kevin picked Davis up at my Grandma's because the kids were there while we were doing some shopping in JC. Kevin stopped by the apartment about 9:30 though to get Davis' medicine, contact stuff and coat because I didn't have that earlier. They left and Duffer and his sister were at the house loading stuff to bring over so Jett and I were curled up on the couch watching Jingle all the Way while Rylee slept beside us when my cell phone rang at 11:30pm. I knew by the ring tone it wasn't anyone I knew...it was Kevin and I knew since he was calling so late that something was wrong. Apparently when they pulled out...hours earlier...the power steering went out on their Tahoe and a family member had came and picked up Davis' step mom and 2 brothers and Davis and Kevin had been out there in the cold for 2 hours working on the vehicle...that didn't make me happy when they couldn't have come inside!! Kevin's father-in-law was there to pick up Kevin and for whatever reason Kevin said that Davis needed to come home and couldn't stay with him since all that happened and Davis was bawling his eyes out. I was furious because he does this every time sometime tiny happens it is like a reason for him to get out of his responsibilities. It took me an hour to get Davis to not be upset.

This morning Kevin called to say they were picking up their vehicle and Davis was asleep but when he woke up I asked him if he wanted to call his dad back and he said no. Kevin is going to keep this up until Davis wants nothing to do with him.

What I really worry about...is Duffer and Davis. Kevin never comes to any games, practices, school programs, teacher conferences, church plays or anything and Duffer has been to everything since his very first VBS program but Davis doesn't respect Duffer and just wants his dad. I talk to Davis over and over about this and I am afraid that Davis resents Duffer thinking he might be the reason his dad is not around but that isn't true...his dad was out of the picture before Duffer was here...but I want Duffer to be given the respect he deserves. Kevin is given WAY more credit than he deserves even if he is his real dad. Please pray for Davis the most because he is being let down in so many ways and I know first hand how that that feels. I feel so bad if I tell the kids anything and don't follow through with it because it is truly devastating to a child to be let down by a parent. That is one thing Duffer never does and he actually spends more quality time with the kids than I do...since I am doing all the taking care of things...and I really want him to be treated better not only because he deserves it but because Jett and Rylee will copy Davis and do the same.

No comments: