Saturday, October 18, 2008

Getting Domestic

I am trying to get all domestic for some reason. I think it is because I am thinking about moving and decorating...which I am terrible at but thanks to two of my friends, Sara and Allison, who have so graciously offered to help me with painting, removing some of the borders/wallpaper, and picking out wall hangings and decorations.

Obviously, I can't do any of this stuff yet so since I am getting in that frame of mind, I got the itch to cook. My kids are NOT open to eating new things at all. All three of them are picky in their own unique way. I can't think of too many things that they all three eat besides the basics like pizza, tacos and spaghetti.

So it started last night...but no picture...when I made a taco ring (Pampered Chef recipe). I loved it and Jett loved, Davis thought it was okay and still ate it, but Duffer and Rylee didn't care for it! Jeez...how do you make them all happy???

So when I was looking for the taco ring recipe I came across a breakfast recipe that sounded awesome and made it this morning. Duffer was sad because he was at work and missed out. Here is how it turned out...and Sara, I was playing with my little red focal points...aren't you proud of me??

Here is the recipe...

Baked Apple French Toast

1 - 16 oz. loaf French Bread
8 eggs
3 c. milk
1/4 c. sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Cut bread into 1 1/2 inch slices. Arrange slices in single layer in lightly greased 9x13 baking pan.
  • Whisk eggs in large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk, 1/4 sugar, and vanilla.
  • Pour half of egg mixture over bread. Arrange apple slices over bread. Pour remaining mixture over apples. Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle over top and dot with butter.

Bake 30-35 minutes until apples are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with maple syrup.

I thought it was great and so did Davis but Jett and Rylee were being picky as usual and maybe ate two bites. Ugh!

So tonight is steak night so not much preparation needed...but it will be great.

We actually had somewhat of a family night last night too since we decided not to go to the DB game. Duffer is still feeling really badly and I didn't want him to get worse in the cool, rainy air and not be able to go to Banner Elk on Sunday.

Remember I said I would post some pictures from last weekend when I went to Sara's house for some camera and PhotoShop lessons?? Well we spent most of our time on the computer so I didn't take too many pictures. This one though I thought was so cute. Rylee was drawing but trying to "think" of what to draw and Sara actually took the picture. She was teaching me about the focal points and the camera was actually set on a high ISO from when I used it before. So the picture turned out bright but I loved the pose so I edited it so I could print it. I then edited in color and black and white and can't decide which one I like better so I posted them both. (BTW, I now know how to shoot completely manual...setting the ISO, f/stop and aperature...we will see how I do tomorrow in Banner Elk!)
Rylee is such a mess!! And I must admit that she is one smart little girl. Last Wednesday at AWANA, she recited THREE verses since we have missed some due to all this house hunting. She knows the others she has learned too because they review them a lot at daycare.

Also at daycare they are preparing for their Christmas play they do each year. Susan has her son video and then distribute to the parents on a DVD. Where she cut back on her number of children, she needs more help so Davis and Jett are going to have a part too. (I am tickled because with their age differences this may be the only time they are ever all three in the same play!) Anyway, they just started going over their parts and in one day Rylee knows hers! She has the best part because she says the lines about what Christmas has become today (about how commercialized it is) and then what Christmas should be focused on. I can't wait to see it!!!

Yesterday Davis had a dentist appointment to get a cavity filled...his second one ever. I picked him up from school and the first thing he asked me was, "Are they going to give me laughing gas again??" I told him they would if he wanted it. (His has his mother's anxiety of dental work.)

We got to the dentist and I usually go back with him but I didn't this time. I get so nervous for him and I am afraid he sees that and he gets scared and I do not want him to have this fear. Before I knew it Dr. Smith was out in the lobby telling me he did great! I couldn't believe they filled a cavity and put on one sealant in less than 30 minutes! Then the dentist shocked me when he told me that Davis turned down the laughing gas! I DON'T even turn that down!!!

When we got in the car I asked Davis about it. I told him I was very proud of him but confused since he had wanted it so badly. He said he didn't know that was what the dentist was talking about when he asked him. I started laughing and realized that Dr. Smith probably asked him if he wanted Nitrous Oxide which is the technical name even though most people know it as Laughing Gas. But Davis said he didn't even feel the shot so all was good! I still need to make that consult with the orthodontist...I had thought the office was going to but they didn't.

So since I have bragged on both Rylee and Davis, I certainly can't leave out Jett. Davis and I headed back to the school to pick up Jett. We took Davis' doctor excuse into the office then waited out front. (The kids who are car riders sit out in front of the school, primary on one end and intermediate on the other, until their names are called to the numbered slot where they are picked up).

Jett was one of the first ones out...he walked right by us and plopped down with his 5 buddies. I walked over to him and surprised him. He is so sweet...he then proceeded to hug each one of his friends and told them bye. I got his teacher's attention to let her know I was taking him. She came over to me and was bragging on Jett and how impressed all four of the teachers in his learning center are. She was explaining something that was sent home in his report card...which I am ashamed to admit I didn't pay much attention to. It was this color coded developmental plan. They must achieve all of the things on it during the school year and it is typed above each category whether they have already achieved or are developing on it and in which grading period they achieved it. The print was so tiny I hadn't noticed.

Mrs. Begley was telling me that the comments were contributed by all four teachers and that Jett was very advanced in the concepts portion. She gave me an example of when she asked him what equals meant. His answer was "if you add 2 to 0 then it = 2 or if you take 2 away from 4 it = 2". (Now I may not have repeated that exactly the way she said it but you get the point.) Anyway, she said it was very mature thinking and reasoning for his age and that no one else in all four classes were on that level. Woohoo! I told her, "That's my little genius, now if only we could get the meanness out of him!" Jokingly of course.

Okay so that is my long random post for today. Now I must stop procrastinating and get this house cleaned and all the laundry caught up since we will be gone all day tomorrow (and that is usually when I finish up anything that didn't get done on Saturday). I am excited about next weekend too...we are planning on all of us going to the UT/Alabama game and then to Boo at the Zoo. (I am hoping Duffer is still planning on us all going...he is adamant about saving money right now because of all that we have to spend in the next two weeks...appraisal, home inspection and termite inspection.)

Speaking of the house, many of you have wanted to see pictures. These are the only ones I have...taken from the MLS...here is the outside...we plan to cut that one tree down in front of the front door so you can see more of the house...it also has a 2nd driveway to the left that you can't see.

The kitchen...must take down the border...but I like the yellow and red...especially the red bar stools that stay.
The dining area to the left of the bar and bar stools...that is the sun room that is off of this room...
The sun room...with gas fireplace...this leads out to back deck...
The living room upstairs...you can see the second driveway out the window...can you see already how many curtains I am going to have to buy????
This is a large downstairs den with a brick fireplace to the right and a large area to the left. The 52" TV stays and is recessed into the wall with built in shelving around it and also a desk built in to the right of the TV.
The back deck that is multi-levels, with covered area and ceiling fan, it is professionally landscaped with two ponds and waterfalls. We plan to put a pool in where those trees are in a couple years when Rylee is out of daycare. :o)
And here is Duffer's favorite part....also perfect for the day we buy a camper...when you walk in the door, there is a computer/office room. Duffer says the garage is so big that this winter we can put one of our basketball goals (we have 3 but gave one to Nene so now we have 2 and the house has one built into the concrete) inside the garage so the boys can play basketball all winter! That makes me smile because the less they are in the house, the cleaner it stays!!!
Ok...now I am off of here...all three kids are piled on me and we are watching Deck the Halls...yes it is almost Christmas time...can you believe they are already playing Christmas movies on TV????







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaa, that's was certainly a long post!!! J/K I love the House, which you knew that...

Ok Martha Stewart when did you start cooking Apple French Toast...Yes Duffer & I both are working why didn't we get some brought to work?

HMM! I LOVE THE TACO RING!

I have never made it, but Susan does, and it's awesome..Now she's the Bomb...You think Im smart when it comes to domestic stuff..I don't have nothing on her...

She cooks, decorates, she was a Mechanic @ work, and E & I, Electrical & insrument..anyway..She's supersmart! Cooking is up her alley!

I LOVE THE PICTURE OF RYLEE...NOT SURE WHICH ONE I LIKE THE BEST...BOTH...

Amy said...

I love the house. It seems like a perfect fit for you guys. Love all the room and the wonderful yard!!!